Saturday 9 November 2013

Blaencwn Rolling Stock updates

Afternoon all,

Its about time I did some work on the 009 side of things again as it does seem like its been a while.

With the relative success of the 3D printed S stock, I've moved onto a selection of 009 coaches and loco bodies based on Ffestiniog Railway prototypes. Currently Coaches 110 and 117 along with a new cab for a GEM Mountaineer and the final Double Fairlie for my collection, the Earl of Merioneth.

The Earl of Merioneth in CAD form

Also, after EXPOng I've managed to get a second Penhyrn Lady to run alongside Linda. This time, Its Blanche and unlike Linda, is a great runner most of the time. The reason it's most of the time is due to the fact that it continually derails over the points in the run round loops.

Blanche

Like Linda, Blanche was brought second hand although this time from the 009 Society second hand stall unlike that famous auction site where Linda arrived from. Following on from what the FR did, I've repainted both Blanche and Linda into matching FR Paint schemes . I've also converted Linda back from a Oil burner to a Coal Burner something which I won't be doing for Blanche/DLG simply as they're how I remember seeing them..

A newly repainted Linda and Blanche side by side
 
Also at EXPOng, I brought a Minitrains Gmeinder diesel along with one of the limited edition bogie box vans to celibrate the 40th anniversairy of the 009 Society. Both are lovely items and great runners. At home, I finally have managed to build the remaining two 009 Society Hudson Coach kits to form a small deicated passenger set for Blaencwm. Both are painted in a similar style to the one on the WHHR which I personally like. I also repainted my VoR coach and VoR Brake van into a similar scheme to form a second set to run on the layout.
 
Gmeinder in the Loco headshunt with the small Passenger set sitting in the Platform

In the above shots, you might notice to big sheds that have appeared on the layout. Both are halfs of a GWR carriage shed kit by Ratio and is the same kit as the one used for Billington Road's Carriage shed. The two sheds are the result of moving the engine shed off Blaencwm to another layout and the fact that the other half of the layout looked very bare. Now, I feel it looks a lot better plus I have extra siding space to hold 3 trains on the layout (2 Passenger and 1 goods).

The Layout as a whole showing the two sheds along with the revised platfrom end showing the additional sidings
 
Hopefully, the next part of the Blaencwm work will involve designing and then rewiring the layout to give a load of isolating sections and optional power section switches. Hopefully it'll make the layout a lot more flexible to operate and possibly a good time to install point controls/motors.

Cheers,

Jon
 



No comments:

Post a Comment