Saturday 23 December 2017

Micro Maine - Things get swapped around, Loco Lettering, Big 2-6-2 and Turntable!

Despite only a short time passing, a lot has changed on Micro Maine. So I'd better get started!



First of all, 2 major changes have happened to the layout. I've swapped the good area and the loco area around. In hindsight, it didn't make sense to have such a massive engine shed on what is basically a branchline with such small goods facilities. So I changed them around. The good area can now hold 8 cars rather than the 4 before with the engine depot a much more reasonable size. That said, the other main reason for moving was the new turntable! It wouldn't fit in the previous location but a quick move to the other end of the layout meant it works! Its only 9 inches long so won't fit a Tender engine on it but that's not the main use of it. It is intended for Forneys that only need 9 inches.


Something else you might have noticed, is that all the engines have been lettered. After drawing up some custom artwork, I had Precision Decals produce them in Gold which looks perfect on the locos. I'm very happy with the way they've turned out and can't wait to get started on lettering for the rolling stock next.


Now for the fun bit. After looking around and seeing a general lack of 2-6-2s for people modeling the Maine Two Footers (bar the very good but beyond my skill level Neil Sayer Kit), I decided to do my own as previously mentioned on here. The first two prints have now arrived! 23 is the only one though that is finished as the other one had too many issues to make it useable. I'm very pleased with the way its turned out as its been a long time since I designed a model to fit on a chassis that wasn't 16mm scale! Just need to sort out some valve gear, DCC chipping and some detailing but then its good to go.

Everything's progressing nicely so I don't think it will be long until I start looking at Scenery!

Jon


No comments:

Post a Comment